Wednesday 25 July 2012

Cloak

I have been working on this cloak for my son since the second half of my pregnancy. It is the first thing I decided to make and I've done it all by hand so far. The top side is now finished. It's made of hexagons, each of which was folded around and tacked onto a precut paper hexagon shape.


I made hundreds of these hexagon patches, which were then ironed to press and hold their shape and then finally I have sewn together by hand to create the top of the cloak.


I'm now thinking of sewing square patches together on my machine, for the underside. As you can see from the pictures, I'm planning to us a range of blue fabrics for the underside patchwork. I would love for my son to use this cloak for a whole range of dressing up and by making it reversible with a different style on each side, I think it'll be more durable.


Of course, in this picture my son seems to prefer using the cloak as a road mat for his cars to drive along rather than a fancy dress outfit to play in. Oh well. 




No comments:

Post a Comment