Friday 31 August 2012

Upcycling

I love the idea of recycling and I try to do it as much as possible in my home. I am known by my friends and family as being a bit of an Eco-warrior and my brothers like to remind me that I was a keen supporter of 'Swampy' when he was fighting the M25. At the school I work in, I ran the Eco club and was responsible for building a nature reserve woodland area and introducing paper recycling to the school. So yes, I guess I am an Eco warrior.

With this in mind, I today I have moved onto the next step - Upcycling. I have taken something (well a few things) that were going to be thrown away and made them into something lovely. I had some old cushions that Isaac has been sleeping on since he was born and they are now pretty manky. Having taken off the outer covers and washed them, I was left with the inner padding.




I then discovered that a lovely sweatshirt Brian has in his wardrobe is destined for the charity shop bag. His Scotland sweatshirt (Brian is Scottish so this is quite major). Oh no!


So, I have spent this morning hard at work with sewing machine, including having a slight disagreement with it and walking out for a pub lunch to then return and attack it later with a clear head.


After several hours of thinking things through and sewing, I have turned these3  items into a wonderful snuggly cushion that either Brian or I will take to school and use on the hard plastic teacher chairs that our schools both have.


I'm quite proud of my achievement with this and actually was an awful lot easier than I thought it was going to be!

No comments:

Post a Comment